March 23, 2009

Quick DIY: Snoot for your flash

There's a lot of light modifiers available on the market. You can read about what it is and how to use them on BeyondMegapixels.com or just ask Google. Almost all of them can be made of some stuff you have around your house.

Few days ago we went to the cinema and our kid asked for Pringles. I asked him to keep the can when he finish and took it home. Here's the can:

Also we need a black scotch tape, scissors and ruler. Measure your off-camera flash's head. My Canon SpeedLite 550EX head is approx. 75x45mm. Grab your can, draw marks and make 40-50mm cuts. Put it on flash head and use scotch tape to fix the new form. Of course, you can cover all the can carefully with black scotch tape and make it look a bit better. I left it like this. Congrats, you are done! Here is how it looks on flash:



Here's the result of this light modifier (click for large photo):

Portrait (Strobist+DIY) (by Ihor Vorotnov)

It was shot at home with enough ambient light and HSS (High Speed Sync) on. The surroundings are totally dark. Flash was on camera, light comes from the above of the model.

4 comments:

jennifer said...

wow, love this effect. thanks for sharing!

Tracy said...

Such a cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

Alex said...

I was wondering if it is really necessary to get all this black tape around the flash, I have made in 2 minutes a snoot in cardboard and shaped it oval. When fitted on the flash a barely space left is apparent. I did not had the chahnce to test it on a manequin yet. Maybe should I try in my face. I like the dark around her face, it makes a nice effect.

Unknown said...

Alex, here are some answers to your questions:
1. Black tape on the snoot is needed just to fix the snoot on the flash (I made 4 cuts in the can to make 4 folds and to perfectly fit the flash head size)
2. About the darkness around - note, that I used flash in HSS mode (High Speed Sync) which means I used fast shutter speed (not 1/250 but 1/1000 or smth).

Post a Comment